A Blog of One’s Own

Two Project Proposals: Social Change for Women and PRC Film Propaganda

January 27th, 2009 by areed · No Comments

1). In 1950, the People’s Republic of China passed the Marriage Law which gave the women of China the right to seek divorce, choose to choose and marry a man of their own free will, and … This social reform   was more extremely radical given the long enduring suppression and domination of women of which China had grown accustom. My paper would look at the direct effects of the government initiated 1950s era policies concerning the changes in the way of life for Chinese women. I will look at both primary and secondary sources, such as translations of the laws themselves as well as gather other sources on available to better understand public reactions to the laws and find statistics on marriage and work tendencies amongst women in the 1950s and onward. I believe further research may lead to conclude that the unique circumstances of China during this time lead to unique social change.

2). The film industry in the People’s Republic of China has become increasingly freer as it has expanded over the last few decades. But since the formation of the communist government, Chinese film has been regulated and influenced, and sometimes directly controlled by the PRC to promote PRC doctrine, morals, and other propaganda. I would like to investigate, through primary sources of film, government documents, memos and correspondence of filmmakers, the history of film propaganda in the PRC from 1949 to the present. I believe the findings will show a change over time but may also prove to be prevalent as seen with Olympic opening ceremonies performance as evidence. 

Tags: Hist 471: Chinese Culture in 20th Century